The wonder of evolution
Wonder Reef, designed to attract a myriad of marine life, is already home to dozens of fish species and destined to flourish even more with time. Coral fragments, collected from local established reefs, have been carefully transplanted onto the Wonder Reef structures to kick-start coral cover and establish a functional and diverse ecosystem.
The relocation of 258 corals revealed challenges in attachment methods, resulting in a low 12.1% survivorship due to barnacle overgrowth and swells. Tensar geogrids proved inefficient, highlighting the need for strategic solutions. Future coral planting is discouraged; focus shifts to expanding the iNaturalist citizen science project for comprehensive biodiversity documentation and sustainable conservation efforts.
Help to protect the marine life and reef structures by observing the conditions of entry to Wonder Reef.
- Obtain a permit for access to Wonder Reef precinct through Book Now.
- Observe the 5 knot speed limit.
- Visit Wonder Reef precinct without a permit.
- Anchor your vessel.
- Undertake fishing activities including fishing, netting, spearing, killing or removing marine life.
- Remove, damage, deface or interfere with any infrastructure, signage, buoys and any other items within Wonder Reef precinct.
View the booking terms and conditions on the link below.