An ever-evolving reef
Enter an underwater world where the inhabitants are constantly changing and every dive will be different. First to be attracted to these towering reef sculptures are the algae, crustaceans and barnacles shortly followed by fish big and small searching for their new home. Over time, gardens of soft, branching and plate coral will grow on these swaying reefs, providing food and shelter for some of the Gold Coast’s most exquisite marine life.
The City of Gold Coast cares about its magnificent marine environment. Click the button below to download the Wonder Reef Long Term Management Plan.
- Investigations and consultation into establishing a world-class dive attraction.
- City and Queensland Government joint funding agreement.
- Subcon Blue Solutions win design and construction tender.
2020 to early 2021
- Detailed design and technical analysis.
- Stakeholder consultation and approvals.
- Fabrication and installation complete.
- Marine life begins to establish.
- Reef monitoring and testing.
- More than 30 fish species identified.
- Local coral transplanted onto Wonder Reef.
Early to mid 2022
- Commercial dive tour operators appointed.
- Dozens of fish species identified.
- Wonder Reef open for diving.
- Reef monitoring
- Marine life continues to evolve
Dive into this underwater universe
Experience the wonder, already home to Indian scad bait fish, giant gold-spotted rock cods, Queensland groupers, sequined mulloway and more.
It all started with a vision
Discover more about the vision that has seen Wonder Reef come to life.
Splash about the stories behind the wonder
Read about how Wonder Reef was imagined.